- 280g plain flour + 1 tbsp baking powder (or simply SR flour)
- 1 tsp allspice
- pinch of salt
- 115g dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 100ml milk
- 6 tbsp sunflower oil (or 85g of butter melted)
- 100g mixed dried fruit and nuts
- 450g icing
- 3 tsp apricot jam
- sprinkles/icing sugar/coloured icing to decorate
- Sift together the flour (+baking powder), salt and allspice into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar.
- Beat together the eggs, oil and milk in a seperate bowl, making a well in the dry ingredients and pouring the mixture into it, along with the fruit and nuts. Stir until combined.
- Spoon into paper cases in a muffin tin and cook for 20 minutes at 200°/400°F/Gas Mark 6, leaving them to cool on a wire rack when ready.
- Knead the ready made icing then roll it out to approx 5mm thick, using a cutter/cup to cut out circles of icing.
- Heat the jam until runny, then brush over the tops of the muffins. Place an icing circle onto the jam, decorating as you wish, then leave to set in a cool place.