- 55g butter (+ some for greasing the tin)
- 115g plain chocolate
- 175g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder or granules
- 85g plain flour + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (or just 85g self-raising flour)
- 55g chopped peacan nuts
- Cocoa powder (optional)
- Make up the coffee with 1 tbsp hot water and leave to cool.
- Grease and line a 20cm-square cake tin.
- Gently melt the butter and chocolate together, then leave to cool.
- Cream together the sugar and eggs, then fold in the cooled butter/chocolate mixture and cold coffee. Sift the flour (and baking powder) and fold into the mixture, before folding in the peacan nuts.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and cook for 25-30 mins at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Run a knife around the tin edge and turn the cake onto a wire rack, then peel off the lining paper and leave to cool, before lightly dusting with the cocoa powder and cutting into squares.